Friday, June 10, 2016

This sounds bitchy


Oh boy. Things got a little soggy for us this week. On Tuesday night, after I bathed Em and put him to bed, I heard water running. It threw me off because I wasn’t washing clothes, hadn’t flushed the toilet, and I didn’t have the sinks turned on. I headed down to the basement to do a leg workout, when I found that the hot water tank was gushing water all over my basement. The water was probably about 3 inches high. It doesn’t sound like much, it was. My entire carpet was completely soaked. I tried turning off the hot water tank, but was afraid to mess with it because I wasn’t really sure what I was doing. There wasn’t an on/off switch either. I ended up having to turn all of the water off to the whole house to get it to stop. Luckily, it was garbage night, so I was able to get all of the boxes that were soaked outside. I cleaned up the water and basement as best I could, while I waited for my landlord to respond to my text.

The worst part was having no water the rest of the night. I hadn’t gotten a shower, or even washed dishes, so that sucked. I didn’t realize how much I used water until I had none to use. I couldn’t even make a protein shake for snack. We don’t buy bottled water because it’s too expensive. I pay for what comes out of the tap, so that is what we use to drink, otherwise, yes, I would have just used bottled water.

My landlord texted and said he’d be over the following day to check it out. I didn’t have my work laptop with me, which meant I needed to drive downtown to grab it, then back home. Well, that only took me about 2.5 hours with traffic. There was no way in heck  I was using a vacation day though. I couldn’t just let my landlord come over without me being there because of the dog. She tried to attack him when he actually came into the house when I was there. I had to calm her down. He was there for almost 5 hours too, so locking her in my bedroom, or something would have just been ridiculous. I was also afraid that he’d accidentally leave the door open and she’d run away. Thirdly, I don’t like the idea of people being in my home without me being there. I don’t know why I feel the need to justify why I wanted to get my lap top to work at home for the day. I am a good employee and didn’t want to miss work. Period. Sorry, I just know some people who read this and I can already hear the stupid comments they’re reciting back to themselves. Eye Roll.

Anyway, working at home with no water really sucked. I couldn’t make anything to eat. I had popcorn and a bowl of cereal. The landlord had to turn off the gas too, so the stove wasn’t operable to cook. Let me clarify a few things too. I don’t buy junk. We have a limited amount of money for groceries, therefore I have to buy real food. I’m talking food that actually needs cooked and prepared. I don’t buy much microwaveable food. I also do not buy snackey stuff that I can just grab and eat (chips, cookies, etc). We are also at the end of our food inventory and due to grocery shop this weekend, so I had even less options. The stuff I had required water. I had some pasta, but I couldn’t boil it. Rice, but I had no water to boil that. I also had no gas to use the stove to cook it either. Same goes with the chicken and eggs I had. How was I supposed to cook this stuff? Again, I just know how some people are and how some things are read. I am not an idiot. Anyway, I had microwaveable popcorn, so I made that. I also had some cereal and milk, so I had a bowl for lunch.

Not being able to flush my toilet was a real delight too. I couldn’t spend money to buy a gallon of water to use throughout the day either. That costs money, and like I said, we are at the end of our rope until pay day on Friday. I didn’t really have extra dollars to spare to buy water, which is something I should have in my home because I already pay for it. I made it through the day though. The landlord replaced the hot water tank. I cleaned up the basement and put a fan down there, so that it could dry. I checked this morning and the floor was dry as a bone. I’m so glad. I just hope it doesn’t start to smell musty. I had to throw away my carpet that I had down there too. It was completely ruined. Taking a shower after two days was amazing last night though!

We haven’t been doing much outside of that. We have a graduation party on Saturday and I am finally taking Emerson for a haircut on Sunday. That’s all the plans that we have. We’re on a spending freeze until Father’s Day. We’re supposed to go to the lake with my family. Emerson and I are getting my dad a gift card for his favorite Italian Ice place, reusable silicone grilling mats, and cinnamon roasted cashews.  Luckily, none of that is too expensive. I’m going to dress it all up and decorate a bag to make it a bit fancier.

I have to work late all week next week because someone is on vacation and I have to cover their job until 5pm. It sucks. I’ll be late picking Emerson up on Monday and Wednesday, which means I’ll be charged $1 per minute that I am late. I’m hoping it isn’t more than 5 or 10 minutes each day. We will see though. I hate this. My sister can pick him up the other three days, but she works until 8pm on Monday and Wednesday. My mom is being the biggest brat right now, so I am not talking to her. When I reminded her about picking Emerson up on Monday and Wednesday, she was super rude to me and told me that because my sister is using her car until hers is fixed, that she won’t be able to help me. I don’t understand that at all. She could use my car those two days. The point is she doesn’t feel like helping me because it requires her to actually have to get off her butt and leave the house. It infuriates me. I am going to just drop that for now though. No sense in getting all worked up about it again.

Alright, I am going to end this now. Have a good rest of the week.

No comments: