Tuesday, September 15, 2015

We need rules

Last night was so much better. I got off the bus and walked home because my sister had my car. It’s not a far walk at all. It probably took me 3 minutes at most. My sister and nephew were both home by the time I walked in the door, so I made a shake real quick, then grabbed the keys, and headed to pick Em up from daycare. When we got home, the boys played in the yard, I cooked dinner, and Brit did the dishes, the organized all of the cupboards in the kitchen, then the bathroom. Emerson and I ate dinner together like we usually do, then we all went outside for a while. The kids played, then after a while, I had Em come inside to wind down a bit before bath and bed. He had a snack, while we played with some toys. In the midst of all of that, Isaiah through a major fit. I have no idea what happened. He kept saying he was bored, and had nothing to do. I said “what would you be doing at your house right now?” Britt said he’d be playing Xbox. Well, go play it then! He starts CRYING. Sitting on the floor and crying, but not telling us what was wrong. I think he is afraid of the basement. It isn’t the least bit scary down there, but I think he doesn’t want to go down there himself, but didn’t want to tell us that. I told him that I have a happy home, and I am not going to deal with these outbursts every day. We can’t fix it unless he communicates with us and tells us what the problem is. He stopped after about 10 minutes though. Britt ended up going downstairs, and he perked right up, and went down with her. I bathed Em, then put him to bed. I let him stay up about 20 minutes later, but nothing too crazy. He snoozed all night. I put him in some warmer jammies because it’s been much colder at night.

After Em was put into bed, I came downstairs, then packed my lunch for the next day. I got all of his cups ready, and packed up the diaper bag. I also got our clothes ready for the next day too. By the time I was done, Britt and Isaiah were back upstairs. We all piled onto the couch to watch Dancing with the stars. It was actually pretty fun. I was tired by a little after 9pm, so I went up to bed. I’m not sure how late they stayed up. I’m sure they appreciate when I go to bed, so they can have a run of the house.

The one thing that bugs me is I never get a run of the house. I wish they had a little bit of self-awareness. They go to bed so much later than I do, so they get the entire house when Em and I are upstairs in bed. I don’t get that luxury. I sat on the couch for 1 hour last night with them. I never had any time to myself like they get after I’m in bed. I guess I just feel like it’s very one-sided. They get the house and the car. It’s almost like nothing is mine. It wasn’t bad yesterday at all. It was actually kind of fun being there with all of us. Isaiah asked me how my day was, and how work was. That’s not something that ever happens. I never get to talk about work, or share anything like that, so it was pretty cool. I just wish I had a little bit of time to myself like they get to themselves. I don’t know how to convey that though. I’m hoping once we have a cable box downstairs it’ll change a bit because they can just hang out and watch tv down there.

I did notice that Isaiah never had dinner. That really bothers me. When Em and I sat down to eat, he wasn’t hungry. Understandable considering he had a rather large after school snack. One of my rules was that we eat dinner together every night. I don’t understand why that’s such a hard rule to follow. It’s going to be REALLY hard to teach Emerson the importance of that if we’re the only ones sitting down to dinner together every night. Isaiah was running around the house, and Britt was cleaning. Let’s all just sit down together, talk about our day, and enjoy a meal. I texted her and told her I want us eating dinner together tonight and made a dinner suggestion. It’s important to me that we eat together. Regardless, Isaiah needs to eat dinner. Lunchables, smoothies, and pringles are NOT dinner. I don’t care what way you look at it. It isn’t dinner! She has never had that structure with him. I know when she lived alone they just plopped on the couch and ate, or just ate when and whatever. I can’t do that. I need to have a real meal and a real meal time. I hope after a couple of days/weeks that we all just fall into the same routine, and maybe it’ll help build some structure. When they lived with my parents, my dad and mom would bring my nephew’s plate up to him in his bedroom while he played video games. My parents would have never allowed that when we were growing up. He just needs a good sense of family. We have a great opportunity to provide that to both of the kids.

Okay, now let’s talk about some other things. This week is crazy. On Friday, Britt and I have hair appointments at 10:15am. I took the day off of work, but Em is going to daycare. On Friday night, I have a surprise going away party that I organized for my best friend and her husband. I hope that goes well. I invited a lot of people. I’m ordering the cake today. On Saturday, we have the color run! I’m so freaking excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Afterwards, we’re having dinner at my parent’s house for my sister’s 30th birthday. It’s going to be a pretty busy weekend. Sunday, we are just going to hang out. We have nothing planned and I’m more than okay with that. I think my nephew is sleeping at his dad’s mom’s house on Friday night. Em and I are going to swing by and pick Britt up at work after the going away party. It’ll be pretty late. She works until 10:15pm. I just hope Em goes to bed when we get home. My cousin is watching him the next morning for the color run, so I don’t want him to be too cranky. I hope it pans out on Friday night. It makes me nervous rocking the boat with our schedule, but I have to keep a positive attitude about it.

I’m going to the gym today around 1pm to do some upper. I ran 3 miles yesterday. Tomorrow, I’m doing lower with a friend from work. Thursday, I’m running with another coach. Friday, I’m hoping to at least get something quick in before I pick Emerson up from Daycare and head to this going away party. Saturday, we’re doing the color run, so that’ll count as far as working out. I’ll take a break on Sunday. Sounds like a well -rounded week, right?! I food prepped on Sunday, so I’m all set there. The only thing I didn’t food prep was dinner, but I figured since there are two of us, I wouldn’t need to prep dinner. Four hands are a lot easier than two!

Alright, I have to go do 100 things. I hope you all have a great day!

No comments: