Thursday, June 5, 2014

MUMMY'S MORTUARY

There is never a dull day in the life of Ashley! I swear! I’d be so happy to think “Wow, today was boring!” Fat chance there. Anyway, when I was done working yesterday, my sister and I headed over to my house. I wanted to walk the dog before I headed to pick Emerson up from daycare. There was a huge threat in the sky with rain, so I was trying to beat it. As we all know, I’m avoiding letting her into the backyard because of the skunk issue….

When we got to my house, I suggested that we head out to the yard to see if there was a possible solution to block the shed off from Kodie accessing it. We were about 3ft from the shed when the aroma hit us. Skunk. My sister was convinced at that point that the skunks were taking shelter underneath, or within the shed. Against my better judgment, I let Kodie into the yard with us. I guess it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Had she not backed away from the back of the shed, I would have never discovered the HUGE, DEAD SKUNK LYING BACK THERE! Well, at least not right away until it’s rotting corpse started to smell. (I love painting a picture for you guys!) I freaked out! Brittany took a closer look and confirmed, “Yep, he’s dead!” I hurried to get the dog in the house. She’s such a curious girl. She would be all over that thing. I’m not sure if it’s diseased, or what, but I want my yard completely sanitized now. Ew! My beautiful yard tainted by death!

I immediately called my landlord. He answered and said he’d be up that night to remove the skunk. He never showed up! Instead, I got a text telling me he’d be there tomorrow (today) and that he was pretty sure the skunk would still be dead then. I didn’t really appreciate the joke. I don’t want that dead, stinky thing rotting on my property!! I’m hoping he doesn’t flake on me today. I have to grocery shop after work too. I just don’t want him going to my house and possibly going inside without me being there. Kodie will flip the hell out if some stranger walks through the front door. I am 100% sure she’d attack his ass. If he does come over, then hopefully he just removes the skunk and leaves it at that for right now. He needs to rectify the issue. They are taking up residence, rent-free, underneath of that shed. I hope the landlord burns the damn thing down. LOL That’s a bit drastic, but DAMN! I haven’t even lived here for more than 2 months and half of that time I’ve been battling skunks!

Another concern is how the skunk died. My mom suspects that someone put poison down in their yard and the skunk ingested it. Wow, how lucky am I that he decided to die in MY yard?! I doubt the moth balls caused death to the skunk. They are just a deterrent. They aren’t meant to actually kill anything. They smell so awful, that I doubt a skunk ate one. I just hope there is no poison in my yard. I’d be absolutely devastated if anything happened to Kodie. The people across from my yard are kind of weird though. They don’t have a dog, so I don’t think they’d care too much about mine. I hope they didn’t throw poison into my yard. I don’t know if the skunks are terrorizing anyone else, but if they are and someone decided to handle it on their own, I don’t want it killing my dog. I would absolutely lose it if something happened to Kodie. In the meantime, I’m going to continue taking her out front on the leash to do her business. It sucks because the luxury of letting her out in the yard was amazing and a time -saver. Now, I have to give extra time in the mornings to take her out. She isn’t used to the leash anymore, so we burn like 10 minutes just to get her to pee! 10 minutes is a lot when you only have about an hour to do 25 things before leaving the house at 5:58am! I’ll be happy if this was the only skunk, but something tells me this isn’t the last of these sightings.




No comments: