Thursday, July 10, 2014

Mummy's Teething Monster!

Well, Emerson is teething pretty badly, which explains his bear-like attitude these last few days. My poor pumpkin. I feel so bad for him. He had a pretty rough day at daycare. He ended up dozing off on the way home and slept for about 45 minutes after we got home. I was able to put all of the supplies away that I bought for his half birthday party. (Plates, napkins, cups, forks, table cloths, goldfish crackers, and the supplies for the s’mores bar) I also was able to make and eat dinner, which was nice. When he woke up, I gave him some teething tabs, which seemed to work pretty quickly. He was still cranky, but due to eat, so I fed him, which resulted in him falling right back asleep. I laid him down and he ended up taking a 2 hour nap! He was exhausted. More tears followed when he woke up around 830pm. I put him in the tub, which brightened his mood. He played for a bit, then it was jammie time. Afterwards, he had a jar of chicken and rice dinner, boob, then bed. He slept from 9-12:50am before waking. I fed, he slept, I fed, he slept. I didn’t sleep much though. I couldn’t get comfortable. As a result, I ended up sleeping in by 45 minutes. Luckily, it is a work from home day, so I didn’t have to rush to catch the bus. I dropped him at daycare around 6:30, headed to the Laundromat, then home to work. To say I’m already beat would be an understatement.

I hope Emerson feels better today. The teething tabs and some Tylenol did the trick last night. I feel so bad. I gave him a cold wash cloth too. He has teething rings, but isn’t really interested in them, so the wash cloth seemed to help. He’s been biting me lately during nursing, which I’m sure is in relation to the teething. For all of this damn teething, I thought he’d have a tooth by now! I at least want to see some fruits of his labor!

My parents aren’t going camping this weekend, so I don’t need to dog, or babysit. I’m kind of happy about that. It seemed like a lot of effort on my part to drive all around to drop my sister off at work, pick her up, then drive up to the lake on Saturday and back. The lake is about an hour away. It just exhausted me thinking about doing all of that, so I’m glad we can have a more mellow weekend now. Saturday, we’re splitting time between the park and pool. The weather is supposed to be hot, so I thought that would be a good way to spend the day. Sunday, I saw showers in the forecast. I’m not sure what we’ll end up doing. Maybe we’ll just have a lazy day at home. I can make a good dinner in the crock pot and we can laze around all day. I guess I’ll see what my sister is up to. Now that I have the baby carrier, I wanted to test it out by walking the dog, while carrying the baby. I just don’t want her to get wild and try to get away from me. I can’t exactly chase after her with a 20lb baby attached to my chest. Fund are EXTREMELY tight these next few weeks. I have everything tied up into Emerson’s half birthday party, plus I had to send him to daycare an extra day, or I’d have an additional $40. We’ll see. I don’t need to plan everything out ahead of time all of the time, which I’m trying to tell myself! Not always an easy thing to do! My friend, Jess, is in town from Texas with her new baby, so I’m hoping we can make plans to hang out with them. We’ll see what they are doing this weekend. I’m hoping we can meet up with them soon! Tomorrow after work, Emerson and I are going grocery shopping. That’s about all of the excitement we have going on.

As I stated above, I bought some items for his half birthday yesterday. Today, I ordered some camp signs for décor and pictures from the past 6 months. I’m making a huge ½ sign to hang, but covering it in pictures. Adorable. The party is only costing $90, which feels like a million, but it’s a memory that I want to give to Emerson. This is something I REALLY want to do for him. I think 6 months is a big milestone. Not only for him, but for me. I can’t believe it’ll be 6 months that I’ve been breastfeeding. It’s such an accomplishment for me. I’m so proud of myself. Thinking back to day #1 in the hospital when I wanted to quit makes me feel even prouder that I’ve come this far. I remember the nurse bringing in a bottle of formula to use to squirt some liquid on me to coax Emerson to latch. I kept asking myself why I didn’t just switch to bottle feeding because it seemed easier. The bottle was sitting right there! All I had to do was give it to him. Instead, I kept at it and I am so glad I did! I remember my sister being right next to me trying to help me too. She didn’t breastfeed and never imagined that it was as hard as it was turning out to be. She encouraged me to continue and when we finally heard him swallowing, we were both so proud. I can barely type without tearing up. It was just so freaking hard! When I got home from the hospital, I felt like all I did was nurse. My milk still hadn’t fully come in, so Emerson was hungry all of the time. Again, my sister was there for me. She’d bring me snacks, water, juice, anything I needed. I remember one day being confined to my bed nursing the baby. My phone was dead, I was famished, and the remote was nowhere in sight. She came to the rescue with a gallon of juice, cup of ice, crackers, phone charger, and got down on the floor to find the remote for me all while being extremely quiet, so she didn’t disturb the baby.

Honestly, I feel like it’s a celebration for her, myself, the baby, and my family too. Everyone pulled together. While I stayed at my parent’s house during maternity leave, my dad did all of our laundry, all of our shopping, and cooked all of our meals. My mom would watch the baby for me, so that I could have a few minutes to shower and pump.(even when I felt like she wasn’t doing enough, she has REALLY stepped up her game and steals the baby from me any chance she gets now) She’d come home during her lunch breaks too in case I needed help. My sister was absolutely incredible though. She did so much for me and she still does. When I need her to help babysit, so that I can save on daycare, she does. She lent me $1,000 (which I paid every cent back), so that Emerson and I could move into our house. We were going to lose the house if we couldn’t move in April. My apartment lease wasn’t up until June, so I had to be able to pay double rent, plus pay my security deposit on the new house and the utilities. She was right there and made sure I was able to do it. I’m so appreciative of that. I was able to pay her back, but it did take me a couple of months. I’m glad she was there to rescue me when I needed it. If it wasn’t for her, we wouldn’t have such a great home to live in. Yes, I take care of Emerson 100% myself, but my family is there for me when I need them. We come to dinner several times a week, are here every weekend, and they have my back even when they drive me crazy. We’ve all been in this together since the day I got pregnant, so I just feel like we need a big, positive celebration for everything we’ve been through. I do love them so much and I honestly don’t know what I’d do without them sometimes. As much as they tick me off, we do need each other and I really do need this crazy bunch of people in my life!

Going through all of the pictures and choosing which ones to print has been so much fun! It’s so cool to see how much Emerson has grown. I’ve picked out all of my favorite pictures of himself, pictures of he and I, pictures of himself with the family, and pictures with Kodie! He is such a doll even when he’s grouchy from teething. I just hope he always knows that I’d do anything for him and that I am trying so hard to just make a great life for the two of us. It isn’t always the easiest thing in the world, but I swear, I am trying my hardest. With all of that said, that’s my justification for having a half birthday party. I feel like people raise their eyebrows at me all of the time if I mention it. It isn’t some silly, superficial, trendy thing that I’m doing. It really does have a deeper meaning than that to me. This kid truly deserves to be celebrated…


No comments: