Tuesday, October 20, 2015

This grinds my gears

Something has REALLY been bothering me lately. I’ve actually mentioned this to my supervisor with little action. We do have a one on one meeting this week, so I am going to bring this up again. We were told a few weeks ago that our work from home days were to be limited to occasional occurrences in the instance that you’re sick, your kid is sick, in climate weather, or if you have an appointment. Obviously, I was initially upset about this. I have to pay $7.50 per day to ride the bus. Working from home once a week saved me $30 a month, which is a lot of money to me. From the second she put it into effect, I abided orders. I was allowed to work from home this past Friday because I had a dentist appointment. There is someone in my department abusing this. This person works from home 2 to 3 times a week! That is way more than occasionally! This person is doing it to avoid having to use daycare, so she works around her husband and dad’s schedule for care for her child. It’s crap. You aren’t even allowed to work from home with your kid on an on-going basis. It’s against company policy. How can you be a daycare AND do your job??  I’m sorry, but it isn’t right. When I work at home, Emerson is NOT there. I don’t even know how I’d get any work done anyway.

I brought it up to my manager and asked her to reiterate the acceptable reasons to work from home. I also asked her to clarify if this was across the board, or just something implemented for me. She reiterated the new guidelines, then stated that it was department-wide. Okay?! So why is this person continuing to do it?! Maybe she doesn’t even know this girl is doing it, but it’s not right. I pay a daycare AND transportation bill every month. If she gets to avoid the cost by working from home, then let all of us do it!!!!!!!!!! It is INFURIATING and it is absolutely CONSUMING me. I don’t care what ANYONE does. I come in, mind my own business, work hard, do my job, then I leave. I’m not the one that made up a new rule though. If a new rule is going to be made, then it needs to be followed. Again, I don’t care if people work at home, but don’t take the privilege away, but then let someone get away with abusing it. When I speak to her this week during our one on one I am going to bring this up again because it’s ridiculous. The person abusing it told me that it’s okay if we have a reason. Um, no. Avoiding to pay for daycare is NOT a reason! What grinds my gears is this person told me money isn’t even a factor. She can afford daycare. She is just ABOVE using it. I don’t think so! 

I mean, I know at a point I need to just let it go. I never have work drama, or anything. You never hear me talk about it, do you? I just do what I need to do here. I need this job. I love this job too. I’ve worked here for 9 years. I don’t even know who I am without this place anymore. This place gives me so much gratification. I couldn’t be more proud to be an employee within this company. I’m sure half of you are rolling your eyes, but I absolutely mean it. I love it here and I love coming here. I don’t even mind coming into the office if it weren’t for having to spend more to commute. I’m glad we at least have the flexibility to do it, but it just kills me to watch someone abuse it. I know I shouldn’t worry about other employees. I should let them hang themselves, but man. It burns me up! After this next attempt to bring it up, I will drop it. I do really love being a part of this company, but we got a new supervisor in July and it hasn’t exactly been the easiest transition for me. It’s a lot less hands off, which I like, but hands off means rules aren’t made to be followed. I don’t even know why she made up that new rule either. If you aren’t going to enforce it, then don’t bring it up. Yeah, we are adults and should follow rules without being babysat, but if someone tells you it’s being abused, then you do something about it.

The crazy thing is this girl made it a point to come in on Friday for her free breakfast for working here for 15 years. When you reach a milestone like that, the company gives you a half day at no cost. She made sure she came in for her free breakfast though, but she can’t bring her ass in here on a regular day to work. It baffles me. She didn’t even work that day because she went to the free breakfast first, then had an early dismissal. All I can do is shake my head. It’s crap.

Alright, I really needed to get that out because it has been bugging me for nearly THREE weeks!  We have such great jobs. Honestly, we do. This girl just feels very entitled and thinks she can do whatever the hell she wants. She actually told me if they tried to challenge her working from home, she’d take action. What action?!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s called RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. I am done!

No comments: