Monday, September 8, 2014

Mummy's busy weekend

Last night, I received a facebook message from a friend asking if I had heard from Emerson’s father. I know I don’t blog about this often, but it’s because I honestly don’t have time to really think about it. The weirdest is I had forgotten that he even existed until I read her message. I responded and she fired back praising me on handling everything myself. It always feels good when someone recognizes how difficult it is to have a new baby on your own. She mentioned that even though her husband is out working, he does come home to help and she doesn’t know how I do it myself. I guess when you’ve never known any other way, you don’t really think about it. Is it really harder? I wouldn’t know because I’ve never had another person there to help me financially, or with the day to day tasks that need done. So many times I’ve heard friends complain about their husbands/boyfriends not helping enough, or messing the entire house up after it’s just been cleaned. I almost feel like this is a blessing in disguise. It would be so aggravating to have help staring you in the face, but to not actually receive it. I couldn’t imagine having to work, take care of the baby, the house, and then having someone around arguing with me. It just seems like too much. I can see why people would be more miserable and exhausted. I have a big list at the start of each day and I work through it as the day goes along. At the end of the day, everything is in order and its mama/baby time. I think it’s awesome. I couldn’t imagine having to pick up after another person, or watch them slop around and be lazy, while I handle all responsibilities. I’m not saying EVERY relationship is like that either, but I think the relationships that aren’t are the exceptions. It’s been amazing to not have a person be around to make me feel horrible, not a priority, inadequate, etc, etc, etc,, etc. This is the primary reason why I’m not sure I’ll ever even want to date again. It has been absolutely amazing to not deal with anyone’s bullshit. A lot of people don’t understand why I’d want to just be left alone because they have this old-fashioned view that a mother and baby should have a husband/father. I don’t see things this way though. Anyway, it’s funny how many times I am told “I don’t know how you do it yourself”. On the other hand, knowing that I do it myself, people still come to me complaining about having too much to do. It makes me laugh and think to myself “Do they know who they’re talking to?”

Okay, now onto the fun stuff: The weekend recap! Friday was a very mellow day. I worked from home, then went grocery shopping. I ended up buying all the groceries, household items, dog food, baby food, and diapers for the next two weeks. I spent $97. I came in $6 under budget. It’s not an easy task, but I meal plan, so that I can try to save as much as possible when grocery shopping. I was pretty pleased with myself. Hauling everything into the house wasn’t fun, but I got everything put away and organized before I picked Emerson up from daycare. He ended up napping quite a bit after we got home. Bedtime was relatively early, which was nice. I was pretty tired.

Saturday was pretty busy. The girl who cuts my grass came over around 9am. We chatted for about an hour. In the middle of our conversation, my annoying neighbor came over to ask if my friend could avoid spraying grass onto her property. Annoying! I wish this woman would get a life! My friend did a great job though, so the neighbor should be pleased. Afterwards, my sister and nephew came over. We all headed out to the mall, bookstore, then once upon a child, which is a used clothing store for kids! It was absolutely amazing! They had a big Halloween costume event going on. I ended up buying Emerson a giraffe costume for $7.50!! I was also able to get him a Steeler’s onesie, two Halloween one piece outfits, and a pair of shoes. What a steal! I will NEVER shop for clothes for him anywhere else before checking that store first. Most of the clothes were brand new with tags still attached! We had such a great time. Emerson was exhausted and napped for about 3 hours after we got home.

Sunday. We went to my parent’s house for the Steeler game and to celebrate grandparent’s day. We had a great time. I made a harvest casserole and we also tasted some pumpkin beer. It was really good! I was exhausted by 4pm, so Emerson and I headed home. We laid down for a while to nap. Emerson ended up napping for nearly three hours. I let myself lay down and nap/watch tv too. I never do this. I’m always running around cleaning something while he is sleeping, but last night, I let myself relax. It was awesome! Afterwards, Emerson played while I did bottles, then he had dinner, bath, boob, then bed! He was up quite a few times during the night, but we did sleep fairly well.

This morning, we slept in a bit, but I worked from home, so that I could go to the Laundromat. We only had two loads, which wasn’t bad. I probably won’t go until next Monday, so going today was important. We don’t have much planned for this week. Just work, daycare, and hanging out. I’m okay with that though. Anyway, I hope everyone has a super Monday!

No comments: